HJF is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to support the Military HIV Research Program (MHRP) located at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) in Silver Spring, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to MHRP.
The incumbent will be responsible for initiating and carrying out scientific projects, under the supervision of senior scientists and in collaboration with other research scientists. The research areas will be a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts in genetic diversity of HIV research to monitor HIV strains circulating in pandemic, characterize HIV variants in different biological compartments, generate and characterize molecular reagents for immunological assays needed for vaccine and cure researches. The incumbent will work within a multidisciplinary environment consisting of military, government, academic, and international collaborators.
1. Designing, developing, executing, and implementing scientific research and/or development.
2. Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and theories to potential inventions and products.
3. Performs specialized laboratory research utilizing experimental protocols which will involve specialized procedures such as extraction of nucleic acids, molecular analysis of specific RNA transcripts by quantitative RT-PCR, end-point/SGA/ real-time PCR, conventional and next-generation sequencing, DNA cloning and generating infectious molecular clones. Perform biological characterization of generated reagents using culture techniques.
4. Analyses experimental data applying relevant statistical and bioinformatic models.
5. Collects and handles samples and keeps detailed records of experiments.
6. Prepares data for presentations at scientific meetings and for publication in journals.
7. Maintains cleanliness of laboratory areas.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Advance knowledge in virology and immunology emphasizing HIV-1 vaccine and cure research. Strong laboratory skills in HIV-1 molecular biology techniques including Real-time PCR, Single Genome Amplification Sequencing, Next Generation Sequencing and DNA cloning, Strong laboratory skills in immunology techniques especially cell cultures and sorting. Experience with project planning, implementation, and data analysis. Experience in presentation at scientific meetings and publication in scientific journals.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: PhD in Molecular Biology, or related disciplines and emphasizing in HIV-1 Genetics and Immunology
Minimum Experience: 0-2 years of experience in HIV research. Relevant publications or presentations at scientific meetings desired.
Physical Capabilities: Prolonged periods of standing and sitting; handling various chemicals radiological and biological reagents. Candidate must be able to visually distinguish all visible colors.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Provide guidance to laboratory staff as needed
Work Environment: Laboratory environment; may involve working with bio-hazardous materials; may require working evenings and weekends
Other: Work is performed entirely in support of a Federal sponsored Cooperative Agreement and therefore is dependent solely on the ability of the Federal Government to fund the agreement. Position will terminate in the absence or withdrawal of Federal funds.
US Citizenship or Permanent Residency is required; Must have lived in the US 3 out of the past 5 years; eligible to pass a NACI background.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.
Any interested candidates need to apply on our website, https://careers.hjf.org/jobs/3594875-postdoctoral-fellow
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.