We have changed our domainWe have changed servers and operate Career|edu under a different domain. Our services will remain unchanged and we will continue to post the best career openings for the academic world at our new domain.
Go back to the Job List
PhD position “On morphing of thin fibre-reinforced thermoplastic composite structures”Posted by: University of Twente
Posted date: 2020-Feb-26
Are you seeking for a research challenge which will induce a significant reduction of fuel consumption and CO2 reduction by improving the effectivity of aircraft wing movables? The project proposed is in line with Horizon 2020 / Cleansky 2 objectives, seeking to contribute to this goal by the application of morphing technology, thereby enhancing the aerodynamic characteristics of future generation aircraft. The technology developed within the CS2 project MANTA makes use of a structure made of highly deformable composite components. The principal interest of this project is the prediction and validation of the mechanical performance of such structures under flying conditions. Main performance aspects concern stiffness, damage development, strength, long-term behavior and influence of impact damage. The researcher will therefore be asked to develop a multi-scale modelling strategy for the complete assembly, with corresponding experimental validation. The link to the manufacturing process of thermoplastic composite elements should be taken into account in the factors influencing the simulations.
The research should lead to a numerical tool able to support the design of morphing movables. Some points to mention are:
• PhD-level research and educational activities, cooperating and exchanging knowledge within the MS3 department, and PT chair in particular, as well as the MANTA network; • Results should be published in highly reputable research journals.
• A strong interest in science, mechanical engineering, numerical and experimental research;
• Critical and creative approach to research, as well as sharp analytical skills;
• Capability to deal with complex problems independently, but also be able to work with interdisciplinary teams;
• Good communication and social skills to organize research with both academics and professionals;
• Good communication (verbal and writing) skills in English;
• Confirmed capacity to write high-level scientific reports and papers;
• Interested in participating in educational tasks;
• A MSc degree in Mechanical Engineering, Applied Physics, Aeronautics, …
• Experience with Finite Element simulations.
• Affinity with mechanical experiments.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Feel welcome to contact Dr. L. Warnet for any questions on the position, email: l.warnetutwente.nl
Please upload your application with the following documents via the ‘Apply now’ button:
• Curriculum vitae.
• Motivation letter explaining why this position is the best match for your personal development, career and why you are the best fit for our research group.
• MSc grade lists
• Letters of recommendation, and names of possible references
• Documentation proving your English proficiency (IELTS or TOEFL score)
• Please submit your application before 15-03-2020.
Since only three documents can be uploaded per application, please combine documents if needed.
An interview with a scientific presentation will be part of the interview process.
Information about the research group and facilities:
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
As a PhD candidate you will be offered a full-time (38 hours/week) position for four years, after which you should have completed your PhD thesis.
In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, the gross monthly salary for a PhD increases from € 2325,-- in the first year to € 2972,-- in the final year plus a holiday allowance (8%), an end of year bonus (8.3% of the annual salary) and a number of additional benefits.
The University of Twente provides excellent campus facilities, and actively supports professional and personal development.
• We provide excellent mentorship and a stimulating, modern research environment with world-class research facilities.
• You will be embedded in a dynamic research group.
• Additionally, the UT is a green campus with excellent facilities and resources for professional and personal development.
• You will follow a high-quality personalized educational program.
• The research will result in a PhD thesis at the end of the employment period.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply. The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.